John looks forward to discussing what he might bring to your organization, institution or business.
John’s presentations are informed by his over 20 years of continuous chronicling of the field starting this his from his “Charting the Mainstream” column for the Townsend Letter for Doctors (1994-2000) through the Integrator for the Business of Alternative Medicine through his frequent Huffington Post pieces today. They are also invigorated and energized by his thirty years in the field, in multiple roles as organizer, director, consultant and volunteer activist. Areas of expertise include:
Some Areas of Expertise/Presentations
- Convergence in Health Creation
- Integrative Health and the Triple Aim
- Perverse and Aligned Incentives: Health Care’s Two Eras for Integrative Care
- The Patient-Driven Movement for Integrative Health
- Trends and Topics in the Emergence of Integrative Medicine
- Present Policy and Action in the Integrative Health Community
Here are sample topics. Others may be gleaned from his recent presentations, below. John looks forward to talking with you about what your audience(s) would most like to explore.
- “Connective Tissue: The 5 Eras for the Integrative Health and Medicine Movement”
A 50-year chronicle of the threading together of the diverse strands, trends and breakthroughs that are connecting to constitute the transformative movement to shift the medical industry toward a system focused on creating health. Continuously updated and focused to specific audiences.
- “Perverse Incentives and Health Creation: The Emerging Opportunity for Integrative Health and Medicine in a Value-Based System”
The efforts of progressive forces in dominant delivery organizations to shift the medical industry’s focus on production of procedures and profitability to a value-based – “triple aim” – focus on creating health in populations is creating some exceptional opportunities. This talk focuses on understanding the impact of different payment structures and outcomes orientations on receptivity to IHM.
- “Policy Leadership: What Have We Accomplished? How Did We? What Collaborations Will Move Us Forward?”
John has closely covered or participated in many of the most significant activity to advance the movement for integrative health and medicine – and more importantly, its impact on health care. This presentation draws on that experience as a guided tour to explore what may be ahead of us.
Listen to John
2018 Presentations (given and scheduled)
- 03-05 “Research, Activism, Policy Shifts in the Rise of Non-Pharmacologic Pain Strategies in the USA.” 2018 Jaseng International Congress, Seoul, Korea.
- 03-12 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Pan American Health Organization (scheduled but could not attend)
- 03-27 American Medical Students Association Integrative Medicine Scholars Program
- 04-26 National Academic of Medicine, Global Forum on Innovation in Health Professional Education, Systemic Issues
- 05-11 Panel organizer and moderator: Traditional, Complementary, Integrative and “Articulated Medicine” at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO): Research Priorities and Partnerships. International Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health, Baltimore, Maryland
- 06-22 Plenary, Integrative Medicine for the Underserved, Washington, D.C.
- 09-18 Keynote, Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine, San Diego, California
- 10-18 Plenary, Integrative Medicine Conference, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- 02-14 “The Five Eras in the Emergence of Integrative Health and Medicine.” Duke Leadership Program in Integrative Health and Medicine
- 05-03 Berlin, Germany, World Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health
- 06-04 Managua, Nicaragua, Pan American Health Organization
- 06-18 Keynote, International Association of Yoga Therapists, Los Angeles, California
- 07-13 Plenary, American Association on Naturopathic Physicians
- 09-01 “Integrative Health and Medicine: The Origins and Expansion of a Global Movement.” CAM World Congress, Colombia, Plenary
- 11-06 Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, 3-day ISCMR training on submitting to peer reviewed journals
- 02-06 Evolution of Medicine News-video-cast. Featured Guest, Evolution of Medicine, video-cast.
- 02-25 “The Cleveland Clinic: Setting the Pace for System-Based Functional, Integrative, and Chinese Herbal Medicine.” Moderator-Discussant, Integrative Healthcare Symposium, New York, NY
- 02-27 “Integrative Practices: Building New Operating Systems for Health Creation and Healthy Communities.” Moderator-Discussant, Integrative Healthcare Symposium, New York, NY
- 02-29 March 2016 Functional Forum. Evolution of Medicine-Functional Forum, New York, NY
- 04-18 “The Five Eras for the Movement for Integrative Health and Medicine. Maryland University of Integrative Health,” student leadership. Laurel, MD.
- 04-18 “The Five Eras for the Movement for Integrative Health and Medicine. Maryland University of Integrative Health.” Georgetown University, Master in Physiology CAM Program.
- 05-19 “The Movement toward Values-Based Medicine and the Triple Aim: Is It Increasing Interest in Integrative Health Services?” Oral Presentation, International Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health in Las Vegas, NV
- 06-15 “Economic Models and Integrative Health Care.” Online module, Duke Leadership in Integrative Health and Medicine.”
- 09-15 “The Five Eras in the Emergence of Integrative Health and Medicine.” Duke Leadership Program in Integrative Health and Medicine.
- 02-19 “Never Only Opioids: Policy Trends, Patient Experience and Practice Models in Treating People with Pain.” Moderator-Discussant, Integrative Healthcare Symposium, New York City, NY
- 04-15 “Envisioning the Future of Health Professional Education: A Workshop” Moderator, Breakout Group. Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Scientists, Washington, D.C.
- 06-28 Commencement Speaker, National College of Natural Medicine, Portland, OR
- 10-15 “Connective Tissue: A Winner’s History for Integrative Health and Medicine.”
Plenary, Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine, San Diego, CA
- 10-15 “Strategies for Integrative Research to (Rapidly) Transform Payment & Delivery.” Moderator-Discussant, Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine, San Diego, CA
- 11-02 “Aligning Incentives: The Project for Integrative Health and the Triple Aim.”
Section on Integrative Complementary and Traditional Health Practices, Keynote, American Public Health Association, Chicago, NY
- 11-04 “Connective Tissue: A Chronicle with Key Themes in the History of Integrative Health and Medicine.”
Integrative Medical Scholars Program, American Medical Students Association, Annual 2 Hour Webinar
- 11-17 “Nuts and Bolts of an Integrative Competency in Evidence Informed Practice.”
Panelist, Academic Collaborative for Integrative Health, Project to Enhance Research Literacy, Webinar.
- 12-03 “How Integrative Medicine Won.” Podcast, Evolution of Medicine, Functional Forum.
- 12-10 Commencement Speaker, Southern California University of Integrative Health Sciences, Orange County, CA
2012-2014 Presentations (Selected)
- 04-XX-12 “Health Reform 101: PPACA and the CAM Provider – Reimagining Health Care: Making Health the Goal. Life University – Octagon Institute, Atlanta, Georgia
- 05-18-12 “One Model for Connecting CAM Practitioners with Biomedical/Conventional Medicine.” Second World Health Organization Working Group Meeting on 2014-2023 Traditional Medicine Strategy, WHO, Hong Kong
- 10-26-12 “The U.S. Primary Care Workforce: Current and Prospective Roles of Licensed CAM Disciplines and Related Issues for Educators.” Breakout, International Congress for Educators in Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Georgetown, Washington D.C.
- 02-21-13 “Introduction to Integrative Medicine Disciplines and Modalities: Residency Program Resources in Integrative Medicine.” HRSA-funded Integrative Medicine in Preventive Medicine (IMPriME) Workshop, Phoenix, AZ
- 03-17-13 Shifting Incentives and Team Care: Is Chiropractic Engaging the Right Collaborations to Co-Lead Medicine Toward a Whole Person Health Model?” Keynote, Association of Chiropractic Colleges-Research Agenda Conference, Washington, D.C.
- 10-15-13 “Berwick’s Triple Aim, the NCCAM Mandate, and the Research Agenda Prioritized by a Collaboration of Licensed Integrative Practice Disciplines.” Guest Lecture, Masters Program in Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Georgetown University, Washington, DC.
- 02-22-14 “The Affordable Care Act in 2014: Update on the Inclusion and Contributions of the Integrative Health Community.” Moderator-Discussant, Integrative Healthcare Symposium, New York City, NY
- 05-04-14 “Doing Well by Doing Good: Building the Case for Broad Workforce Partnerships Finding the Right Fit: The Workforce Needed to Support the ACA,” Plenary Panel, Association of American Medical Colleges 10th Annual Workforce Conference, Washington D.C.,
- 05-08-14 Council of Colleges of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, keynote. Austin, Texas
- 06-08-14 Altogether Better Health#7, Pittsburgh.
- 09-29-14 “Healthcare Workforce-Interprofessional Practice and Education.” Plenary, Symposium on Integrative Health Policy Honoring US Senator Tom Harkin, Georgetown University, Washington, DC